Friday, March 11, 2011

Bitter Sweet

Today was my last day teaching at Topsail High School. I am very excited for the uncertainty, opportunity, and excitement that next six weeks will hold. However, I am sad that I will be leaving the staff, and students at Topsail. Over the past six months I have developed friendships with the staff and a strong comfort level with my content area and in my classes.
Today we talked about the devastating effects of the earthquake that hit Japan and how tsunami waves formed and worked. The timing of this event in geologic history is almost surreal, since we began our unit on Earthquakes yesterday. After we talked about Science, I had my students create an ‘about me’ bracelet and write a letter about themselves to the students that I will teach in Belize.
Normally, many of these students would not care about geography or learning about other cultures. However, many of them began asking questions about the location, language and culture in a country that they know little to nothing about. Perhaps the fact that they know someone that is going to this country, or the fact that the letters they wrote will be delivered to students that are their age sparked a large interest in the country of Belize.
Today is very bitter sweet for me for as sad as I am to be leaving Topsail, I am very excited for what the next two months have in store! Time for me to start packing!


Until next time,
AAA
This is the front of THS. My window is just out of the picture on the top right.

No comments:

Post a Comment