Friday, March 25, 2011

Chicken Drop and Chow

    One of the biggest differences between here and the USA is lunchtime. Instead of having a cafeteria where all of the students go for lunch there is a cantina on the edge of campus where they serve one food. There’s also a Chinese restaurant, convince store, and a street vendor that the students can eat. They stand at the concrete fence at the edge of campus and yell their orders over the fence.

Best Pupusaria!
    Speaking of food, I’ve eaten some phenomenal food here already! The first day at school I ate at the cantina, chicken, rice and beans. I’ve since eaten donuts at the convince store, and chicken chow mien, fried chicken fingers, and chicken burgers at the Chinese restaurant. My overall favorite meal is pupusas! It’s basically two pancakes filled with your choice of meat, beans, cheese and vegetables. The place we go to get them has the best banana smoothies, and I can spend seven dollars and have an entire meal! It’s fantastic! Another fantastic meal I’ve had is shrimp nachos at a place called Hurricanes that is sitting on the water.
Hurricanes

Last night a few of us went to a Chicken Drop out on the beach. Yes, you read that right, a chicken drop! Its basically where they have a board filled with numbers. You pay a dollar and get a ticket for the drop. They then take a chicken, spin it in a circle three times, hold it up and down three times and then blow on its butt. Afterwards, you basically wait for the chicken to poop, and whatever number it poops on, that person wins $100! A few of the chickens didn’t need to go, so they brought out backup chickens. When three chickens wouldn’t go they brought out a rooster. I can honestly say that I never thought I’d pay to watch a chicken poop, but life surprises you sometimes.


Hope you have a wonderful Friday,

Until next time,
AAA

1 comment:

  1. Belize, sounds like a one of a kind place.
    I especially like the ,"chicken drop," I feel I would do well, lol.
    White sanded beaches, blue water, and SURF, I know there is SURF somewhere.

    ReplyDelete