Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It's Halftime in Belize...

I can’t believe that this amazing experience is half way over! I have experienced so much in the last three weeks, so I’ve decided to write this blog as a sort of reflection on my time here so far. Most importantly, I’ve learned a lot about myself and my abilities as a teacher.  I have learned that I can teach and live in an environment that is out of my comfort zone and do very well. I've even managed to not do laundry yet during my time here; don't worry though, I'm washing clothes tomorrow because they are starting to get smelly :)
As far as the educational aspect of this trip, I have learned a great deal about some things I want to do in my classroom at home, as well as some things I will not. For example, students in San Pedro are used to very direct instruction. They are phenomenal at memorizing information, and providing it on tests. However, they are not are not as good at explain information in their own words as many of my students at home. One thing I have definitely learned from the teachers here is how to gain respect from your students. The students really respect the teachers. They will ask permission before even thinking about walking into the teachers’ lounge. 
I’ve also learned a lot about the culture in Belize. I love this island because it feels like the TV show Cheers’ where ‘everybody knows your name’. On my way to school I get stopped by students saying “Good morning Miss Ashton”, and then by vendors on the way home who as “how are the teacher’s doing?” I have also loved the walk to school in the morning, despite the heat. We walk to school on the beach, and it’s a great way to wake up in the morning and really reflect on how you want your day to go. Plus it is a lot better for the environment than getting in a car. Although, on the island of San Pedro cars are hard to come by! Most people here drive golf carts, and only service vehicles and taxi’s are actual cars.
I’ve decided to add a few more pictures to this blog than normal, to hopefully give you a little taste of some of the sights that you might see during a day in San Pedro, Belize.

One of the best shore snorkeling sites on the island.
Can't go on a trip without a turtle picture!



Lunch time!!
A Coatimundi that someone has as a pet. I have also seen people with raccoons as pets.
Notice anything strange about this picture? (You might have to click the picture to enlarge it)
The major intersection in San Pedro.
Palm Tree's are everywhere!!

Cleaning fish after a long day fishing. Must be dinner time!
Maneli's has the best ice cream on the island!
Kristi doing a little shopping!

The walk back home after a great day in San Pedro. (Don't worry, those aren't ghosts, those are my friends.)

Time for me to go teach my last class for the day,

Until next time,
AAA

1 comment:

  1. EI represent, even in Belize. That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.
    The pictures and words really have done Belize justice. You have made it feel like that those who read your blog are their walking on the beach and enjoying the culture. It has made me want to visit, because it sounds like EI.
    I really like the picture of the sea turtle, it is nice to see they are growing and thriving in Belize.

    ReplyDelete