Monday, April 4, 2011

Stingrays, Starfish and Pig’s Tail!


Sorry it has been so long since my last post, unfortunately, I’ve been fighting a stomach bug that was going around the group. I caught it late Tuesday night and was sick at home all day Wednesday, and have spent much of the time since then in bed. The good news is I’m starting to feel better!

A lot has happened since my last post! Tuesday after school I went and played volleyball with some of the guys from the high school! They are very good! Especially for the virtually concrete court that they have to play on! Afterwards, we met for dinner at a place called Wayo’s. The restaurant is right on the beach and they made grilled chicken, rice, beans and homemade tortillas for us! It was a fantastic meal!

Teaching Vitamins to the Class of 1G

Unfortunately, this is the point in the week where I started feeling sick, and spend a good portion of the rest of the week either teaching or taking naps in bed. Thursday, one of the teachers at the high school, Ms. Michelle, invited us to her house and cooked us dinner. She made split pea, pig tail, rice, vegetables, plantains, and curry chicken. Don’t worry, if you did a double take on that last sentence, you read it right. I did, indeed, eat pig tail! In fact, it was actually pretty good! It tasted like very, very salty ham. When I was sitting at dinner I was thinking about how incredible and special my experience in Belize is. I’ve been lucky enough to travel to many parts of the world, but here I’ve really gotten to know some of the people and learn about the culture of this awesome country!

Saturday morning the rest of the group went to the barely excavated Mayan ruins at the south end of the island. I decided not to go and rest instead because of the heat and the 5 mile bike ride required to get there. I went to the beach for a couple hours in the morning and then went back home to take a nap. When I woke up it was time to go to the high school for the Ms. San Pedro High School Pageant. Each year the high school holds a pageant for the girls at the school as a fundraiser. The pageant includes talents from the girls, a fashion show, as well as other acts like dances and singing from other students. Some of the costumes the girls had were very elaborate, and it felt like the whole town of San Pedro was at the pageant because of how crowded the auditorium was. 

Today was my favorite day! We had an excursion to Caye Caulker, which is the next island over.  On the way we got to stop and snorkel at Hol-chan Marine Reserve and Shark-Ray Alley. The reef was in fantastic shape! I saw a green moray, turtle, hogfish, nurse sharks and sting rays everywhere! After our two stop snorkel, we made it to Caye Caulker. I had a fantastic fish sandwich for lunch at a restaurant on the water named Rainbows, and then we went for a walk through the town. There were a few places to buy local jewelry and a really cool art shop where I got some gifts for people back home!


Tomorrow begins another week at San Pedro High School and new adventures!

Until next time,
AAA

1 comment:

  1. Pig Tail, I am not really sure about that one, but life is short so you should always try anything at least once.
    It is great to here the Reef is in excellent condition and teaming with life.
    It would be a great time to sail from one island to the next, fun.

    ReplyDelete